Sunday, March 24, 2013

Coming of Age in Mississippi

Hello, lovely people! I just finished yet another book that I felt compelled to share my thoughts on... and my blog is becoming the perfect platform for my to let my bookwormish thoughts loose! This was another book I was assigned to read in my Life Writing class, and it has definitely been the most accessible and compelling to read so far. I recommend this book to anyone interested in an easy, first-person, girl-to-woman type of book while also educating themselves on the civil rights movement.

Anne Moody grew up in rural Mississippi, and her autobiography tells the story of how she came to support and fight for the civil rights movement of the 1960s. She talks about her experiences with racism, joining the movement, and fighting racism. Her voice is very accessible and relate-able  especially for girls in late high school/early college, but one very cool thing about her story is the way she portrays herself at every age. Some might think this technique to be a bit manufactured or over the top, but I quite enjoyed Moody's re-creation of every time period of her life... When she writes about her childhood, her writing becomes choppy and childish, referring to her Mother's pregnancies as "getting fat" and using other basic, immature terms to describe the events as she perceived them at the time.

What struck me most about this book was Moody's relationship to God. As she witnesses more hate and racism as life goes on, her faith in God dwindles and dwindles till eventually she attacks it head on, raging at God after hearing about a bombing in a Sunday school. It was upsetting to see her hatred escalate and grow as she get older and older, but I think it portrayed very accurately that hate spawns more hate. Here some some quotes to show her growing hostility:


"I was fifteen years old when I began to hate people."


"Before, the woods had always done so much for me. Once I could actually go out into the woods and communicate with God, or Nature or something. Now that something didn't come through. It was just not there anymore. More than ever I began to wonder whether God actually existed. Maybe God changed as the individual changed, or perhaps grew as one grew."

"I'm through with you. Yes, I am going to put you down. From now on, I am my own God. I am going to live by the rules I set for myself. I'll discard everything I was once taught about you. Then I'll be you. I'll be my own God, living life as I see fit. Not as Mr. Charlie says I should live it, or Mama or anybody else. I shall do as I want in this society that apparently wasn't meant for me and my kind. If you are getting angry because I am talking to you like this, then just kill me, leave me here in this graveyard dead. Maybe that's where all of us belong anyway. Maybe then we wouldn't have to suffer so much. At the rate we are being killed now, we'll all be soon dead anyway."


Not exactly a pick-me-up, but an interesting book that traces the journey of a girl who grew up learning how, who, and why to hate. Although upsetting at times, this book was psychologically intriguing and historically compelling, and I highly recommend it! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment